Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eating Your Fruits & Veggies in January

Every year about this time, I find myself in a fruit and veggie rut. By January I've eaten more than my fill of mandarins, persimmons and pomegranates and I'm ready for something new. I go to the grocery store and search the produce section, desperately trying to find something exciting that is actually grown locally. And more often than not, I'm disappointed with my findings. But the truth is, there are lots of great cold-weather fruits and vegetables.

This January, I'm determined to get out of my rut and get excited about all the great fruits and veggies that are available this time of year. I'm going to load up on citrus - how long has it been since you've had a kumquat? I'm going to eat lots of cabbage, kale and cauliflower. I'm going to find new recipes and I'm going to add January to my list of favorite food months - that will make 12 in all!

So what's in season this time of year?
Apples
Pears
Lemons
Oranges
Tangerines
Persimmons
Dates
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Beets
Kale
Cabbage
Spinach
Winter Squash

That's a start. Go visit your local farmer's market or the produce section at your grocery store...I'm sure you'll find a lot more. And stay tuned for some great winter recipes.

For a great list of what's in season where you live, check out Sustainable Table.

Written by Linzi

No comments: